My First Shirodhara Treatment
Last week I had the pleasure of experiencing a Shirodhara treatment for the first time. Shirodhara is a therapeutic practice of Ayurveda (the traditional medicine of India) in which warm sesame oil is poured over the forehead and massaged into the head. As you may know, I am now sharing my office with an Ayurvedic doctor named Zohreh Sadeghi, who happens to offer Shirodhara, as one of the many therapeutic treatments/services she practices. Just one of the amazing perks of working in a healing center!
To give you an idea of just what this looks like, here is a short video clip of me during the treatment.
Benefits of Shirodhara
According to Ayurveda, Shirodhara has the following benefits:
- Brings balance and harmony to body, mind and spirit
- Generates a profound state of relaxation in body and mind, relieving stress
- Opens up the flow of energy in the body
- Stabilizes the nervous system
- Eliminates imbalances of the head affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose
- Treats insomnia
- Nourishes hair and scalp, and strengthens hair follicles to prevent hair loss and premature graying
- Replenishes skin oils, regaining natural luster and youthfulness
- Softens lines and wrinkles on the face by clearing the mind, dissolving stress and relaxing face muscles
- Activates the pituitary and pineal glands, as well as the hypothalamus, which organize and regulate all hormones in the body
- Promotes fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland, where sexual and reproductive hormones are activated
- Helps produce endorphins- the neurotransmitters of the body
- Enhances concentration, mental clarity and comprehension
- Heightens the senses
- Stimulates cognitive memories and increases intuition
- Opens the Third Eye- increasing spiritual awareness
I found the treatment to be extremely pleasant. My colleague Zohreh obviously knows what she is doing. She uses a very interesting (and beautiful!) piece of equipment (pictured in the video) that collects, heats, and circulates the oil for a steady uninterrupted and soothing flow.
The warm sesame oil flowing over my forehead felt amazing! As did having my entire head basically bathed in organic sesame oil. And the face, head, and forehead massage was equally dreamy. (This treatment is definitely not for those that are shy of oil.)
I can personally attest to several of the purported benefits. After the treatment I definitely felt calm, relaxed and focused, and the skin of my face and head looked and felt amazing. And I slept like a baby that night! I’m definitely looking forward to more Shirodhara soon!